Saturday, May 10, 2014

Easton Harvest Soccer Game


In Easton Summer the neighborhood kids have an impromptu baseball game in the Sanders ranch field.  In Easton Harvest they switch to soccer.  Not happy with just calling the neighborhood kids the "neighborhood kids," I named them Kevin, Ryan, Mike, Paul, Ben and Bobby.  Having more players in soccer I added, Scott, Brandon and Nick.  Anyone care to guess the source of these names?

Here's a snippet of our soccer game:

     I stood on the back porch, hands on hips and watched the activity in the pasture. There must have been 20 kids out there. It looked like they were trying to play soccer. Jerry was out there with them. I think he was the referee. Mike Andrieni’s father, Wade, was out there directing the playing. Mom was darting from place to place with her camera. I grinned at her determination to catch every shot she could.

     Jonathan and Lauren were both in the field with Jason, Eric and Sonja. I thought Jerry had taken Jonathan home after dropping us off at the house, but it looks like Jonathan came back with Jerry. Jonathan seemed a bit skittish. I think it would be good for him to spend time with the kids. Honey and Cookie were out in the field with the kids. Honey stood with her tail at attention waiting for the ball to come her way. She would take off with the ball if she could. Moo was munching the dried grass next to the fence and Cookie was facing the big cow making sure she stayed away from the tiny dog. Freckles was in the field standing next to Eric. The little spotted dog stayed close to his master. I hope he didn’t get stepped on.

     “Hey,” I called out to the field. “What are you playing?” Jason and Eric looked my way. Jason had his usual grin on his face.

     Jason gave me a wave and jogged to the fence. “We’re playing soccer.”

     “Do you have enough people to play?” I asked, not real certain how to play soccer in a pasture.

    “Oh, we’re just playing for fun. We’re divided up evenly,” Jason enthused. “Eric, Sonja, Jon, Lauren, Derek, David and me are on one team, and Mike, Ben, Kevin, Scott, Brandon, Ryan, Paul and Bobby are on the other team.”

     “So you’re just dribbling balls back and forth and whoever gets the most goals wins?” I asked.
“Yeah, that’s right,” Jason said fidgeting to get back.

     “Well, go play. I’ll watch from here,” I told him. Jason ran back out to the field and I watched the boys and girls run around chasing after the soccer ball. Someone had dragged a couple of wooden benches out to the field from the barn to serve as goals. Kevin was guarding one side and Eric the other. Since no one had on uniforms or any equipment, it was hard to tell who was on which team.

     Sonja stood holding the ball eyeing all the kids. She was throwing the ball into play. She moved the ball over her head and aimed it at Bobby and threw it. I heard “I got it, I got,” from a few of the kids and then the ball was off. Bobby was running it towards the goal guarded by Kevin. She passed the ball to Jonathan who ran with it a few steps and then passed it on to Eric. Scott tried to intercept it. Nick actually tackled the ball away from Eric sending it over the imaginary touch line. Somewhere Jerry had found a whistle and blew it to indicate the ball was out of play.


     I watched as the kids really got into playing. The ball was ran up and down the field and it seemed all the kids were taking turns moving it. I heard “Score” shouted a couple of times but I couldn’t tell who had scored. Coach Wade spent his time gesturing with his hands as the kids played. I scratched my head and wondered how they were keeping track of what they were doing. I was going to have to brush up on soccer, I thought. 


Let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment