Saturday, July 18, 2015

Golden Grasses of California

The other day I was reading a  news article regarding the drought in California. In the article it encouraged homeowners to let their lawns go "golden" to save water.  This hit an accord in my mind as I remembered describing how California got its name the "Golden State" in Easton Summer.  The name was derived from the golden grasses of California, not the gold rush of 1847.

As I drive down my street I notice almost all of the homes have "golden" lawns.  There is, of course, the one or two stragglers that still have bright, green lawns.  I feel for these homeowners.  I worked hard to put my own lawn in eleven years ago when I bought my house.  It hurt to let it "go golden."  California needs the water more than I need a green lawn.

Today's photo shows the golden grasses of California around an irrigation canal.  Most canals are now dry.  I so enjoy the blues in this picture.

Give Easton Summer a read.  Not only does it describe the antics of the "Easton Angels," California in general and particularly the Central Valley are described.

No comments:

Post a Comment